Saturday, March 23, 2013

Double Mountain Brewery - Molten Lava IIPA

Lava first sight.
My buddy Brian sent me a Popular Science article the other day about the possible addictive quality of hops. The article suggests that while there is no proven chemical addiction to lupulin, the active ingredient that gives hops their aroma and pucker power, there is probably a psychological addiction that results from a natural rush of pleasure chemicals like dopamine into the brain.

This would be similar to the effect that capsaicin, the stuff that makes chiles hot, has on chileheads--folks who can't get enough  hot pepper pain. Hey, I'm a two-time flavor stoner! I love big hoppy beers AND hot peppers!

In any case, like any good hophead, I'm always on the lookout for a hardcore double IPA that I've never tried. Tada! I found Double Mountain Brewery's Molten Lava on tap at Apex Bar last night!

The beer was presented in a 12 oz. glass and was a hazy, golden orange color. The foamy white head was a finger thick and lasted a good long time. Frothy lacing was left behind.

Smell was straight up citrus and piney hops. Just a tiny bit of skunkiness floating around in the background to give fair warning that this is a hop monster of an IIPA. Some tropical fruit and sweet malt lurking around back there, too.

Taste is a big, bitter, hoppy sock to the salivary glands. Grapefruit and orange. Peppery. A bit of an alcohol sting, which I'd expect for a brew with an ABV of 9% plus. I got a smidgen of malt flavor there right at the finish but nothing really competes with the huge hops hit. I still tasted those hops after I left the bar and was waiting at the bus stop.

Medium mouthfeel with decent carbonation.

This beer delivers. The Double Mountain website says this brew is made with Cascade and Centennial hops. My favorites and the hops I grow in my garden every summer. Good stuff and I'm giving Molten Lava a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.




No comments:

Post a Comment