Thursday, March 7, 2013

Dogfish Head - Saison du Buff

Are you going to Scarborough Fair...
in the buff?

Well, damn, it's still not Friday. Grrrr. I'm getting grouchy waiting for the weekend. Thursday night and not a thing worth watching on the 600+ cable TV channels we pay way too much money for. At least I have some beer...

Tonight's delight is a tasty farmhouse ale from Dogfish Head. The label says the stuff was brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme...which pretty much proves you can make a decent beer with just about anything, if you know what you're doing. Dogfish Head comes out with some very interesting experiments, and they are typically terrific.

Saison du Buff poured into my goblet a slightly hazy, golden yellow color with a bright, fizzy, white head. The head came up about a half inch high and dissipated quickly, leaving very minimal lacing behind.

Aroma filled the nose with spices: lemongrass, coriander and a hint of sage. A floral bouquet in the background--seriously reminds me of a florist shop--with light malt and yeast in there, too.

Taste delivered some lemon peel and peppery spices. Bready yeast and a nice maltiness left on the palate. Moderate bitterness. Honey. Definitely sage. There's a lot going on with the flavors in this beer, for sure.

Medium mouthfeel with lively carbonation. Kind of a creamy finish.

I really thought this brew would be weird, but I like it. Another winner from Dogfish Head. Good stuff and I would drink another in a heartbeat. Saison du Buff earns a respectable 3 crushed cans out of 4 on the BeerGuyPDX rating scale. I really do need to start giving 1/2 cans in my ratings.


No comments:

Post a Comment