Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Dogfish Head Brewery - Rhizing Bines

Double teamed...
My hops are growing. The hardy rhizomes (mass of roots) of my Cascade, Centennial and Zeus hops have been seemingly dead and dormant all winter, but they're aliiiiive. Little green buds are just starting to perk up, and pretty soon long bines will be crawling all over my house again.

Hops do not grow on vines. No, their creeping structures are bines. The difference is that vines have sticky tendrils or suckers that affix the plants to the objects they climb. Bines simply grow in a clockwise fashion and entwine the objects they grow up and over. I make a patio cover out of my hops every year. It's cool and shady and if you don't mind a few spiders dropping onto your head from time to time, it makes a great summer hang out.

Hey, Dogfish Head and Sierra Nevada called their new collaboration brew "Rhizing Bines". Get it? That's pretty cool. They had this beer on tap at Bailey's Taproom. It's a double IPA that contains Experimental Hop No. 644. I've heard a lot about this hop--so new, it doesn't even have a name yet.

The beer was delivered to my beer mat a clear, bright orange color with a very pretty, foamy white head. The head had good retention.

The aroma was very fruity and floral. Tangerine, orange and lavender. I didn't pick up much hops in the nose.

Taste was interesting. Not very hoppy. Sweet malt with a grainy, bready quality. There's a soapy taste in the background--matching that lavender aroma. Not much of an alcohol sting to this one, in spite of the 8% ABV.

Medium mouthfeel. Reasonable carbonation. The finish is a bit watery. The flavor just kind of drops off a cliff and leaves very little residual taste on the palate. 

Man, I'm glad I didn't spring for a full bottle of this stuff. I mean, it's not terrible, but it's not awesome by any stretch of the imagination. I'm giving Rhizing Bines a BeerGuyPDX rating of 2 crushed cans out of 4. One of those cans is for the cool name.


No comments:

Post a Comment