Monday, March 11, 2013

Boulevard Brewing Company - Irish Ale

Irish I had more beer...
I bought a sack of beer singles today. Six of them. I know what you're thinking--sack? Yes, it was a poorly constructed canvas shopping bag that should absolutely be called a sack instead of a bag.

I carried the sack home, slung over my shoulder like a happy hobo, and loaded the bottom of my fridge with a wide array of craft beers from a bunch of different brewers. Unfortunately, I bought those singles at Whole Foods and some of them were quite pricey. Of course, if you shop at Whole Foods, price is no object, right? Right.

Boulevard Brewing Company's Irish Ale poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my pint glass a dark reddish brown color with a big, creamy, tan white. The head rose up to over two inches high and dissipated slowly. A significant cap of foamy suds was left behind, solid from rim to rim, and still about an 1/8 of an inch tall.

Aroma is sweet malt, brown sugar and ripe banana, with an earthiness in the background.

The taste follows the nose to some extent. There's a mild, bitter hoppiness on top of the malt and just a slight spicy, peppery aftertaste.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. The finish is just a tad watery.

At 5.8% ABV, there absolutely no alcohol taste to this beer. It's highly drinkable. Not my favorite beer for this style, but I wouldn't turn one down if you offered it to me. I'm giving Irish Ale a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment