Saturday, March 16, 2013

Boneyard Beer Company - Diablo Rojo

The devil inside...mah belly!
I like all kinds of beer, but admittedly I prefer some styles over others. There's no doubt that I love, love, love India pale ales. A well-crafted IPA always brings a party to your mouth. So much going on in the flavor department: bitter, sweet, fruity, malty; the complexity can be awesome.

Belgian styles are also a big favorite, and I'm always intrigued by the massive character of a fine barley wine ale.

The red ale is a style that I'm on the fence about. I have to be in right mood to drink a red. The earthy malt character often seems like a one trick pony to me. Just not much else going on.

I was sitting at a local bar yesterday and saw Boneyard's Diablo Rojo on tap. There was a fearsome looking red devil sitting on top of that tap handle. Kind of reminded me of that Diablo video game I used to play with my son when he was a teen. Could this red ale truly be devilish? I decided to give it a try.

The beer was delivered to my napkin a clear, red amber color with a pithy white head. The beer was over-poured.   By the time I got the camera on my phone fired up, the head had dissipated to a small ring of lacing  around the rim. Nice color, for sure.

Aroma was bready malt and brown sugar. Very faint grassy hops in the background.

Taste was as I expected. Malt with an earthy, nutty flavor. Very crisp and clean, though. The flavor never descended into that swampy, dirt taste that I've found present in some reds I've tried. A little touch of bitterness to the finish. Nice.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with good carbonation.

A very drinkable beer. No alcohol taste detected at all. ABV is 7.0%. I'm not so sure it lives up to the name. It's seems more angel than devil to me. Nevertheless, Diablo Rojo is a decent beer and I'd have no problem drinking it again. I'm giving it a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment