Saturday, March 23, 2013

Alameda Brewing Company - Siberian Bear Russian Imperial Stout (nitro)

1% Teddy, 99% Grizzly
The second beer I ordered on my trip to Apex Bar yesterday was a glass of Alameda Brewing Company's Siberian Bear Russian Imperial Stout. They had it on a nitro tap and served it up in a 12 oz. stemmed glass.

I actually ordered this beer as a back-up for the Ghost Chili Golden Ale, just in case the pepper spice was really as hot as the folks around me claimed it was. It wasn't. I didn't really need a back-up drink, which was great because I really enjoyed this RIS all on it's own.

The beer was presented on my beer mat a very dark brown/black color with a beautiful, creamy tan head. Gotta love that nitro. The head dissipated slowly and a lovely film of mustache-coating lacing was left behind.

Aroma was roasted malt, coffee and chocolate. Picked up some oak there in the background with a bit of over-ripe fruit.

Taste was marvelous. Luscious, bitter dark chocolate and coffee. Over-ripe cherries. Hazelnut. A rich, roasted malt flavor is left on the palate. There was a subtle flavor explosion going on in this beer and I loved it.

Medium to full mouthfeel with a very smooth, creamy finish to it. Amazing that with a 9.8% ABV there is no alcohol burn or hard-hitting booziness. This is a delicious, dangerous brew. I could drink several pints of the stuff and easily end up in the back of a police cruiser or with a really bad tattoo.

A superlative example of this beer style and I highly recommend. If you can find it on a nitro tap, you're in for a treat. I'm giving Siberian Bear a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment