Sunday, February 17, 2013

Victory Brewing Company - Storm King Imperial Stout

A delicious storm is brewing.

I'm kind of on a stout kick lately. Maybe it's the gloomy winter skies of the Pacific Northwest. Hey, why not make everything dark and heavy? It's not like it's going to stop raining anytime soon. Lord, where's my Paxil and the SAD lamp? It's getting all cabin fevery up in here.

While I sink into the depths of depression and despair, I might as well have something tasty to drink. Victory Brewing Company's Storm King Imperial Stout fills the bill quite nicely.

The beer poured into my dainty lil' tulip glass a solid pitch black. No light getting through. The mocha head was a good finger thick and dissipated to an appreciable amount of lacing from rim to rim. That head look particularly creamy and delicious.

Aroma is roasted malt, chocolate and espresso. There's also a pleasant fruity aroma in the background. Melon and dark fruit with hints of floral.

Taste really does follow the nose: chocolate, coffee, rich malt. Hop bitterness helps balance out the sweetness, along with a pleasant, subtle smokiness. Tastes of citrus and coffee linger on the palate for a surprisingly complex aftertaste.

Medium to full bodied with minimal carbonation. It's gives the tonsils just a bit of a coating, but nothing too heavy. There is just a hint of alcohol in the uptake on this 9.1% ABV brew.

Merry the Wonder Beagle was quite intrigued, which is unusual for her, seeing as how she is most attracted to big, hoppy IPA's. She watched me drink the entire beer and did produce just the slightest amount of drool. I love this beer and I sure wish I had a six pack of it--IN--MY--FRIDGE. I'm giving Storm King Imperial Stout a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment