Sunday, February 17, 2013

Stone Collaboration - La Citrueille Celeste de Citracado

What's in a name?

The Bruery/Elysian/Stone Collaboration La Citrueille Celeste de Citracado... imagine ordering that at your local pub. By the time you got to "La", the grumpy bartender would be down at the other end of the bar taking orders from people who can get the marbles out of their mouths and ask for a "normal" beer. Damn, I think I developed carpal tunnel syndrome just typing the name twice. Ow. Oh, ow.

In any case, this beer is a collaborative effort between three very accomplished brewers. Do too many cooks spoil the proverbial broth? We'll see. From the label, I could see they tossed everything but the brewery sink into this beer: pumpkin, yams, toasted fenugreek (fenugreek?), lemon verbena and birch bark. Hmmm...

The beer poured into my goblet a clear, dark brown/reddish color with a thin, off-white head. The head petered out quickly and left very little lacing behind.

Aroma is brown sugar, caramel, toffee, citrus and spices. I really didn't pick up any pumpkin in the smell at all.

Taste is citrus--lemon and orange--with a toasted earthiness in the background. Malt and brown sugar. Again, I didn't get any pumpkin or yam.

Medium mouthfeel with a dry finish. 

Not a huge wow factor to this beer, but I liked it. Would I pay 8 bucks for a 12 oz. bottle of the stuff again? Nope. Still, I'm glad I tried it. I'm giving La Citrueille yada yada a Big Dumb Galoot rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment