Sunday, February 17, 2013

Stone Brewing Company - Vertical Epic 12.12.12

Can't wait for 1/1/111...

For the past several years, I've religiously purchased a bottle of Stone Brewing Co's seasonal Vertical Epic release. Each time, I vowed to put the bottle away in a cool, dark hidey space for enjoyment at some future, undetermined, special date. Of course, the only problem with that plan is that I have NO SELF-CONTROL!

Typically, it only took about two days until I was popping that cap and chugging down that bomber of... 04.04.04 or 06.06.06 or 10.10.10. This time, however, I decided to simply forego all pretense. I bought a bottle of 12.12.12 Vertical Epic (the absolute last of the series) and drank it almost immediately after bringing it home.

Much like my old baseball cards, I imagine that if I had kept a bottle of the entire VE series, I'd be sitting on a freaking gold mine. (I had Johnny Bench, Ron Cey, Steve Garvey and Nolan Ryan rookie cards, BTW.) But, Nooooooo, Mr. Zero Self-Control saves nothing...except memories...dull, fuzzy memories.

Vertical Epic 12.12.12 poured into my pint glass a deep, dark black color with an inch tall, tan head. The head dissipated quickly and left minimal lacing behind.

The aroma was very interesting. Dark malt with lots of spice. Weird. I love HP Steak Sauce and this beer smells EXACTLY like HP Steak Sauce. Cinnamon, cloves and cardamom fill the nose like a spicy bouquet.

The taste is awesome. Belgian-like spice. There's the cinnamon and cloves--very aggressively spiced. Brown sugar and bready yeast. The finish is boozy and surprisingly dry. Delicious and not at all disappointing. 

Medium to full mouthfeel with a tingle of carbonation.

I really like this beer. I might just go buy another bottle to put away for a special day...PSYCH! I'm not going to do that! However, I might buy another bottle to drink tomorrow. Good stuff and well-deserving of a Big Dumb Galoot rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment