Sunday, February 17, 2013

Stone Brewing Company - Smoked Porter w/ Chipotle Peppers

Smoke this.

I'm a bonafide chilehead. I love hot peppers and I eat them with everything. Seriously, my hot sauces take up almost an entire shelf in our fridge, and I have been officially banned from buying more until an empty bottle makes room. I also use dried chiles to spice up everything. My current favorite is a little bottle of dried Bhut Jolokia flakes that I keep in the kitchen next to the more wimpy condiments. The Bhut Jolokia, aka the Naga Ghost Chile, is one of the hottest peppers in the world. I can proudly attest that I once ate an entire fresh Ghost Chile on a dare. Now, that was an experience. 

I'm a big fan of Chipotles, which are created by smoke-drying jalapenos. That pungent smoky flavor is distinctive and delicious. I was beer hunting in Whole Foods and ran across a bottle of Stone Smoked Porter w/ Chipotle Peppers. Sounded like the perfect thing to jazz up an otherwise bland Thanksgiving menu. I've had regular Stone Smoked Porter and I'm a big fan. Brewing it with Chipotles sounded like a great idea to me. I had to pick up a bottle.

The beer poured into my goblet a solid black color with a thick, 1/2 inch, mocha head. The head dissipated quickly and left a good amount of lacing behind.

The aroma is primarily smoky malt with a hint of chile in the background.

Taste is smoky with that distinctive Chipotle pungency. Bitter chocolate and malt in the finish. Medium  mouthfeel with a nice creaminess to it.

As the beer warmed up, so did the smoky Chipotle flavor. There's very little spicy heat to this beer, which is a good thing. I prefer my pepper heat in my food, not in my beer.

Interesting effort and good result in this one from Stone. I'm giving it a respectable Big Dumb Galoot rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment