Sunday, February 17, 2013

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers - Butchertown Black Ale

Back in Black...

I took the wife and the only kid still in the nest out for Payday Friday dinner last night. The "kid" is a 19 year old MMA fighter with a hollow leg. He loves hot wings, so we decided to go to Fire on the Mountain. FOTM is a wing eatery with a couple of locations here in Portland, OR. They also brew their own beer. I had a glass of their IPA last night, too, which I'll get around to reviewing sooner or later.

Jeesus Louise-us that restaurant was packed to the rafters with family-types. It took 45 minutes to get a table and there were so many kids in the place, I started having Chuck E. Cheese flashbacks. Yikes! Gratefully, our server was terrific. She was clearly slammed, but took really good care of us.

For my first cold beverage, I ordered a Speakeasy Butchertown Black Ale. It arrived at the table without a head. Perhaps was sitting on the bar for just a bit too long. Lots of lacing left behind, so I think it had some suds on top when it came out of the tap. Color was a very dark brown/black.

Aroma of chocolate malt and coffee. Some hoppy, citrus notes.

Taste was a rich, lightly smokey chocolate and caramel. Just a little bit of bitterness to the finish. Medium mouthfeel. 

This beer gets a big nod from me in the drinkability factor. Good stuff. I'm giving Butchertown Black Ale a rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment