Sunday, February 17, 2013

Southern Tier Brewing Company - Pumking

Long live the king.

It's October and that means Halloween is right around the corner. Boo! It also means that the stores, bars and bottle shops are stocked to the rafters with seasonal pumpkin beers. To tell you the truth, I really don't care for most pumpkin flavored beers. I certainly couldn't drink mass quantities of the stuff, that's for sure. Meh. One exception is Southern Tier's Pumking Imperial Pumpkin Ale. I like it. A lot.

I picked up a couple of bombers after sampling it on tap at Bottles, one of my favorite bottle shops in NE Portland. For my official tasting ritual, I poured the beer from the bomber into my goblet and immediately snapped a photo. Check it out. Those apples give it a nice fall feel, don't they? Somebody better start eating those things soon.

The beer poured a nice orange/copper color with a white creamy head that disappeared quickly. Significant lacing remained from rim to rim, however. The aroma is spicy. Smells like pumpkin pie. The beer tastes exactly like a slice of pumpkin pie, too. There's a creamy finish that's just like a whipped cream topping. How they do that? How? It's amazing. Did Willa Wonka brew this stuff?

The beer packs a wallop with 8.6% ABV, but there's a surprising lack of booze sting. It hits you right at the very end, but it's not too astringent. This beer is pretty smooth. The flavor is intense, but it isn't heavy or syrupy at all. Seriously, I'm going to make a beer float out of the stuff. I'll let you know how it goes.

Once again, I don't think I could drink more than a bomber of Pumking in one sitting. I'd get tired of it pretty fast. However, for what it is, it's pretty damn awesome. I'm giving this one 4 crushed cans out of 4. A perfect score.


No comments:

Post a Comment