Sunday, February 17, 2013

Southern Tier Brewing Company - Creme Brulee Stout

Do you serve that with a spoon?

Wow, a bomber of this stuff set me back a bundle. I'm not even going to post how much I paid for it--it's just too damn embarrassing. Let's just say my tight-fisted Irish grandmother would beat me over the head with the bottle if she knew I spent that much. "On a bottle of BEER, ya shiftless galoot?" Ka-bong!

The beer poured into my chilled glass a deep, dark black. Not much was getting through when I held it up to the light. The tan head came in at about a finger's width thick but quickly dissipated to next to nothing.

Smell was incredibly like creme brulee. Truly amazing. Burnt sugar and vanilla custard. Creme brulee.

Taste was big on the vanilla bean, caramel malt and brown sugar. Dang! It tastes exactly like creme brulee. You could absolutely have this beer for dessert. I'm surprised I like this beer as much as I do. Big ABV on this one at 9.6%. You'd think the booze would sting like a malt liquor, but it doesn't. I can barely taste the alcohol.

Kind of a heavy mouthfeel. Not exactly syrupy, but it gives your tongue a bit of a coating. This beer reminds me of Southern Tier's Pumking, it that it successfully tastes like a delicious dessert. I can't say I'd drink this brew very often. In addition to the price being a major put-off for me, I think I'd get tired of it pretty fast. Still, it's great for what it is. I'm giving this one a Big Dumb Galoot rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment