Sunday, February 17, 2013

Rogue Ales - Santa's Private Reserve

Last of the holiday stock.

I have so many beers stashed around the house, I sometimes lose track of them. Yeah, it's a problem everybody should have. I found a bottle of Rogue Ales Santa's Private Reserve behind the bar yesterday--nestled quietly in the midst of dust bunnies and errant swizzle sticks. I popped it in the fridge and decided to have it for breakfast this morning.

The beer poured into my pint glass a deep amber color with a puny tan head. The head dissipated quickly and left minimal lacing behind.

Aroma was sweet malt and brown sugar. (Seems I always smell brown sugar with my limited olfactory  skills.) There's a musty herbal note to the smell.

Taste is bitter pine and grapefruit hops right up front with a very earthy malt taste in the background. There's a different kind of soil-like mustiness that I've noticed in other beers from this brewer. A pleasant nutty flavor is left on the palate. Seems a bit odd, but for some reason it comes together and works for me. I like it.

Medium mouthfeel with lively carbonation. I have no idea what the ABV is on this beer. Nothing listed on the label. I'm assuming the style is an American Red Ale. 

This beer went great with the glazed donut I had for breakfast. Oh, hell, ANYTHING goes well with a glazed donut. Nevertheless, I'm giving Santa's Private Reserve a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment