Sunday, February 17, 2013

Rogue Ales - Dry Hopped St. Rogue Red Ale


I went bomber hunting after work today and Dry Hopped St. Rogue Red Ale is one of the bottles I brought home. I kept going back and forth between this one and the Rogue chipotle ale. Eeny, meeny, miny... Folks were getting pretty irritated with me for hogging the entire cold case aisle, so I just grabbed one and got out of the way.

The beer poured into my chilled pint glass a hazy brownish red color. The off-white head was a full finger thick but quickly dissipated. The remaining lacing was quite ample and lasted a very long time.

The aroma of this beer is sweet and sugary, but there's a certain earthy, almost peat-like mustiness in the background. I can't exactly put my finger on it...

First sip hits with some significant bitterness that fades away to that earthiness. There are some sugary dark fruit flavors. The bitterness lingers with a sting at the back of the jaw. I wasn't so sure I liked this beer at first, but it kind of grew on me as I drank it. I finished it up while eating some of my wife's homemade kitchary and tomato chutney. It really complimented the Indian spices.

Yes, this one is growing on me. The flavor of the hops is kind of hidden at first, but it sticks around on the palate as a very pleasant aftertaste. Yeah, this one is a keeper. On my rating scale, St. Rogue Red gets 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment