Sunday, February 17, 2013

Rogue Ales - Chatoe Wet Hop

Goin' Rogue

Had a fun afternoon wandering around in the Pearl with my sweetie yesterday. Yeah, it hailed on us briefly, but the weather cleared up just enough to provide us with a pleasant stroll. After a while, we started to get hungry. We were right down the street from the Rogue Distillery and Public House. Now, I know my wife was craving Italian, but she's always looking out for my best interests.

"You want to get a beer, don't you?" said my better half. She knows me so well. "Come on, let's get you a beer." I'm a lucky man.

The pub wasn't too busy for a Saturday afternoon. We didn't have to wait for a table. The decor of this place is a bit cluttered. Cases of beer are stacked up everywhere. Don't they have a storeroom? I guess not.

For my cold beverage, I ordered the Chatoe Wet Hop. It arrived at the table in a Mason jar. Color was a slightly hazy orange. The white head was about an inch thick and dissipated slowly.

Aroma was...absent. I had to ask my wife to give it a smell for me. "Why, is it gross?" she said, recoiling toward the back of the booth. Oh, what faith I inspire in my loved ones. As I said, my wife knows me so well--too well. With a little more prompting, I got her to give it a whiff. "Citrus-y," she said. I took her word for it.

The taste seemed a bit muted, too. I got the typical citrus hops. Grapefruit. There was some subtle malt undertones. Nice bitterness, but the overall flavor seemed to vanish quickly, like it was making a hasty exit. Odd. 

I've heard that fresh hops are fragile and that they can sometimes make a flavor escape. Perhaps that's what happened here. I tasted this beer at the Fresh Hops Fest in Hood River this year and it was awesome. One of my favorites, actually. Based on this and my previous tasting, I'm giving Chatoe Wet Hop a rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment