Sunday, February 17, 2013

Reverend Nat's Hallelujah Hopricot Hard Cider

Goin' to CHURCH!

Yeah, I know it's not beer, but you have to change things up every once in a while. Hops in apple cider? That sounded different. I bought bottle of Reverend Nat's at New Season's a week or so ago. It set me back about ten bucks. Ouch. A bit pricey, but it was payday, so what the hey, why not? I'm made of money--every other Friday.

Not sure exactly how to taste and rate hard cider. 6.9% ABV on this stuff. It poured into my glass looking like...apple cider. Nothing you would call a head on it. There was some noticeable carbonation and the small amount of bubbles on the top dissipated very quickly.

The smell is apples and apricot with some hints of spice in the background.

Taste is right up front with the apricot and apple. The finish is quite dry. The hops bitterness is present, but doesn't overpower.

This is a sophisticated cider. It's not too sweet and has a complexity that I wasn't expecting. I have to say that the price is the only thing that turns me off. However, I know this cider is made right here in Portland in small, craft batches. That's a big plus for me. I love to support local.

I'm giving Reverend Nat's Hallelujah Hopricot a Big Dumb Galoot rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment