Sunday, February 17, 2013

Portland Brewing Company - Rose Hip Gold

Everything's coming up roses...

I picked up a 12 oz. bottle of Portland Brewing's Rose Hip Gold at a local bottle shop the other day. It's a Belgian-style Blonde Ale with an ABV of 6% and it's brewed with rose hips. I'm not really familiar with rose hips. Don't they make herbal tea out of the stuff? 

Looking it up on the ol' reliable Wikipedia, I see that rose hips are the actual fruit of the rose plant. Hmmm, I never really thought about rose plants having fruit. Wiki says there's even a type of mead made from rose hips--in Sweden. Interesting. You learn something new everyday.

The beer poured into my lil' tulip glass a bright, clear golden color with a slight ruby tint. The white head foamed up to almost two fingers thick and then dissipated very quickly. Virtually no lacing was left behind.

Aroma is Belgian spice. Sweet malt with citrus undertones. Just a hint of tropical fruit.

Taste is sweet malt with Belgian yeast and spice. There is a pleasant citrus flavor that isn't coming from hops. Must be those rose hips.

Medium mouthfeel with generous carbonation. The finish is dry and subtle fruitiness is left on the palate.

Good stuff this local beer. I like it. I'm giving Rose Hip Gold a BeerguyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment