Sunday, February 17, 2013

Portland Brewing Company - Oyster Stout

I'd share with you, but I'm shellfish.

I visited Portland Brewing's taproom today. It used to be MacTarnahan's or Pyramid, but they changed the name. Portland Brewing is probably a good choice. The beer brewed in Portland has a stellar reputation everywhere.

I came to this establishment with the singular purpose of trying the Oyster Stout. I have to admit, it sounds kind of gross--a beer brewed with oysters? However, after sampling my first oyster stout a couple of weeks ago (21st Amendment's Marooned on Hog Island), I've had a hankerin' for more. Did I really just use the word "hankerin'? Sorry, that's just my hillbilly DNA coming through.

The beer was presented to my table looking pitch black with a beautiful tan head. (Yeah! Somebody knows how to pour a beer!) The head lasted a good, long time and dissipated to a small amount of lacing across the top.

Aroma is dark roasted malt, coffee, cocoa and molasses. Hints of dark fruit in the background.

Taste follows the nose pretty much to the letter. Nice creamy finish with a pleasant hop bitterness, and then there's just the most delicious, subtle hint of oyster flavor left rolling around on the palate.

Medium mouthfeel with decent carbonation.

The thing I like the most about eating oysters is that slightly salty, mildly metallic, subtle ocean aftertaste. This beer captures that aftertaste beautifully. The taste is barely there, so don't be afraid, there's no oyster flavor over-powering the brew at all. I like it. A lot.

I'm giving Portland Brewing's Oyster Stout a BeerguyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4. Good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment