Sunday, February 17, 2013

Oskar Blues Brewery - Dale's Pale Ale

It's mine, now, Dale!

They had a bunch of singles laying around at the bottom of the cold case in Whole Foods today. The price tag was $1.49 on each can or bottle. I plopped four cans of various brews into my cart, finished up my grocery list and headed for the register.

Jeesh, how did I get out of Whole Foods for under 20 bucks? Seemed off to me, so I checked the receipt when I got home. Hot damn, if the checker didn't charge me for single sodas instead of beer! I made out like a bandit! Yeah, yeah, I know, but it was wet, cold and rainy and there was no way I was going to schlog my tired ass back to Whole Foods to return $2.40 in ill-gotten gains. My stalwart integrity stops at spare charge.

One of the beers (a-hem, SODAS) I bought was a 12 oz. can of Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues Brewery. It had a big ol' dent in the top, but nothing was leaking.

The beer poured into my pint glass a clear, deep orange color. The white head came up a full inch and dissipated slowly. A decent amount of lacing was left behind. Sudsy!

The aroma is big on citrus hops. Orange and grapefruit. Floral notes in the background with light malt.

Taste is big on the hops for a pale ale. There's a very subtle earthy note and sweet malt lingers on the palate after the initial sting of the hops bitterness.

Medium mouthfeel with decent carbonation. 

The hops-loving Wonder Beagle went gonzo over the smell of this beer. (Someday, they're going to find my doggie-chewed corpse in the La-Z-Boy and the beagle finishing off my beer in the corner.) I really like it, too. It's very drinkable and at 6.2% ABV, you can down a few without getting plastered. Good stuff and I'm giving Dale's Pale Ale a Big Dumb Galoot rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment