Sunday, February 17, 2013

Oregon Trail Brewery - Bourbon Barrel Porter

You have (not) died of dysentery. 

I received a number of fine craft beers for Christmas. My wife knows all about my fondness for bourbon barrel aged brews, so I can see how this offering from Oregon Trail Brewery jumped out at her from the shelf. I've never heard of this brewer before, to tell you the truth, but I don't get around much. At least, I've never been to Corvallis, Oregon. Home of the OSU Beavers, I know that much. (Go Ducks!)

The beer poured into my tulip glass a solid black color with a 1/2 inch tan head. The head disappeared quickly and left almost no lacing behind when it went bye-bye.

Aroma is all bourbon up front. Big boozy smell. I like. Hints of brown sugar, molasses and vanilla way in the back.

Taste is also big on the bourbon. No need for a whiskey chaser with this one. No siree, Bob. Oak, vanilla and dark fruit flavors are left rolling pleasantly around on the palate. ABV is 9.2% and there's a warm sting of alcohol that can't be ignored. Finish is surprisingly dry.

Medium mouthfeel with light carbonation.

Probably not the most sophisticated bourbon barrel aged beer I've ever tasted, but the stuff has some character nonetheless. Very drinkable. I'd definitely drink it again. Oregon Trail BBP gets a respectable Big Dumb Galoot rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment