Sunday, February 17, 2013

Oakshire Brewing - Ill-Tempered Gnome

Don't be scared, Gnomie!
Okay, my wife collects garden gnomes. It started out as kind of a joke, but those creepy little imps can now be found lurking behind almost every rock and shrub in our front yard. I bend down to pull up a dandelion--there's a gnome. Round the corner with my weedwhacker--there's a gnome. I swear,  the damn things are a-multiplyin'. 

When I pulled a bomber of Oakshire Brewing's Ill-Tempered Gnome out of the fridge, my wife exclaimed, "How cute!" Yeah, cute. If you ask me, there's something positively NOT cute about gnomes, and I think Oakshire hit the nail on the head when they identified that there's a certain malignancy in the gnome's set of personality traits. Whimsical little garden guardians, or minions of Satan? You tell me. Gratefully, there's nothing "ill" or scary about this beer.

The beer poured a dark, reddish brown with a tan head. The head was a finger thick and dissipated quickly. Light amount of lacing left behind across the top of the glass.

Aroma is caramel malt. Some hints of spice and hops.

Taste is toasted malt with some toffee or chocolate notes. There's a bitter hop finish with an earthy quality in the background. Medium mouthfeel with medium carbonation. 6.8% ABV and there's no alcohol taste to this winter warmer. It's an easy drinker and I really enjoyed the bitter hoppiness there at the finish. Good stuff.

I'm giving Ill-Tempered Gnome a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment