Sunday, February 17, 2013

Oakshire Brewing - Big Black Jack

Big Black Jack, not Big Jack Black.

Stopped off on the way home from work at 1856 for a beer or two. 1856 is a new bottleshop on NE Prescott, not too far from my house. They have some really nice craft beers on tap and a lot more in the cold case. I found out what "1856" means today from Adam the brewtender. It's the year that Louis Pasteur discovered how microorganisms cause fermentation in beer. How beer geek cool is that? I really like this shop. They have a bar with a few stools up front and a nice little drinking area out near the sidewalk for when the weather is dry.

I ordered an Oakshire Big Black Jack. It was presented to me in a little tulip/wine glass straight from the tap. The beer was pitch black. No light getting through that darkness. A thin, tan head topped it off. The head quickly dissipated, leaving very little lacing behind.

The aroma is primarily big time chocolate. There's some spicy notes in there, with hints of dark fruit. I wasn't getting much pumpkin in the nose.

Taste is chocolate and holiday spices. There's a nice bitterness that I wasn't expecting. I just couldn't get any pumpkin in the flavor. If there's pumpkin in there, it's pretty subtle. Of course, after a long day of powering down energy drinks and Hot Pockets, my tastebuds are pretty whacked out, so what the hell do I know?

Big and boozy, this one. 9% ABV and you can taste it. Still, I like it. I'm giving Big Black Jack a Big Dumb Galoot rating of 2 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment