Sunday, February 17, 2013

North Coast Brewing Company - Grand Cru

Somethin' Grand?

I've got a pretty good beer line-up for the holidays this year. Sadly, I'm the only beer drinker in the house this Christmas. I have nobody to share these tasty brews with...ah, I'm literally crying in my beer. Psych! I'm not really that good at sharing. Says so on my kindergarten report card. Nobody dropping by to share the Xmas cheer? More for me! Nyah-ha-ha!

Grand Cru poured into my lil' tulip glass (which I also got for Christmas) a cloudy golden apricot color with a minimal white head. The head disappeared quickly and left only a tiny amount of lacing behind.

Aroma is big on stone fruit--peach and apricot. Tropical fruit and light apple pie spice in the background.

Taste is sour apple, white grape and pear. There's a boozy hit of tequila. This brew comes in at 12.9% ABV (yoink!), yet there is no alcohol sting to it.  It's very sweet--almost cloyingly so. A white wine or Champagne quality. The label says this beer is aged in bourbon barrels. I didn't pick up on much oak or vanilla flavors until it warmed up a bit.

Medium mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation. Seems rather light in the mouth, in spite of the syrupy sweetness.

Grand Cru is certainly different. I'm thinking it would be an awesome dessert drink--served with my wife's delicious cobbler. Yeah, that would be perfect.

While this beer is absolutely not the best brew for all occasions, I'm liking it. I'm giving this one a Big Dumb Galoot rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment