Sunday, February 17, 2013

Ninkasi Brewing Company - Sleigh'r

This stuff sleighs me.

It's winter ale season! Yay! That means the cold cases and taprooms throughout Stumptown will be stocked up with those warmers soon. It also means the Winter Ale Fest will be coming   soon. That's better than Santa Claus in my book.

I picked up a bomber of Ninkasi Sleigh'r at QFC the other day. I had a few of these last year, so it's not a new beer to me. It has been a while since I knocked back a bomber of Sleigh'r, though. It's described as a "dark double alt ale". ABV is listed as 7.2%.

The beer poured into my Mason jar a very dark brown, reddish color. Almost black. The tan head came up at around a full inch and dissipated quickly. Lots of lacing left behind throughout the entire guzzling.

Aroma is dark malt and brown sugar. Lots of booze coming through the nose. A lot of booze.

Taste is chocolate, toffee and malt. Hints of dark fruit and spice. There's a big alcohol sting to the stuff, too. More so than I remembered. Medium mouthfeel with a rather dry finish. In spite of the booziness, I like the this beer. It's still an easy drink.

On the Big Dumb Galoot rating scale, Ninkasi Sleigh'r gets a respectable 2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment