Sunday, February 17, 2013

Ninkasi Brewing Company - Oatis Stout

My kind of oatmeal.

Ninkasi is the ancient Sumerian goddess of...beer. Now, I don't know much about ancient Sumerian gods, except what I've seen  on Ghostbusters, but Ninkasi seems like she was a pretty cool gal. She made beer every day and shared it with all of the other gods and goddesses. Those Sumerian deities apparently knew how to par-tay. The beer was made from soggy bread, though, so I'm not quite sure how it would rate on the Big Dumb Galoot scale. I'm just sayin'.

Ninkasi Oatis Stout is not made from soggy bread. It's made with oatmeal. Normally, I wouldn't touch oatmeal with a ten foot pole, either, but it makes a pretty tasty beer.

Oatis poured from bomber into pint glass a dark black with a finger thick, mocha colored head. The head dissipated quickly but came back immediately when I refreshed my glass.

Aroma is chocolate, coffee, brown sugar and over-ripe, dark fruit. Big boozy smell on first uptake. Reminds me of a tawny port wine.

Taste is bitter chocolate, roasted coffee and sweet malt. Hops in the background. The flavors really woke up as the beer warmed up.

Mouthfeel is medium to full with good carbonation.

Good stuff. Easy to drink and I'd like to make a beer float out of it, too. I'm giving Oatis a respectable rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment