Sunday, February 17, 2013

Ninkasi Brewing Company - Allies Win the War!

Extra, extra! Drink all about it!

Looks like this is a stay-at-home, drink and review a few beers kind of night. That's what I'm doing anyway.

I found a bomber of Allies Win the War! on sale at Whole Foods for $3.49. It is apparently a collaboration brew between Ninkasi Brewing and 21st Amendment. To tell you the truth, I couldn't read much of the teeny, tiny, itty bitty print on the label. With or without my glasses, I was only able to determine the that ABV is 8.5%. I had to go to Ninkasi's website to obtain additional information.

The beer is brewed with California dates and a variety of Northwest hops. It appears to be an English Strong Ale. Beats me. It certainly is different.

The beer poured into my pint glass a deep brown/amber color with a thick, tan head. The head came up more than a finger tall and dissipated slowly to copious amounts of lacing all over the glass.

Aroma is sweet malt and tropical fruit: pineapple and tangerine. Honey and subtle hops in the background.

Taste is really, really interesting. There is a significant fruity sweetness right up front. There's honey and banana followed immediately by bitter citrus and piney hops. Wow, how dey do dat? Usually, you get the big hops bitterness up front and the sweet fruitiness in the back. This beer does it in reverse. The finish leaves the hops zinging the tastebuds. Take another sip and the fruity sweetness is right back on the palate.

Medium mouthfeel, creamy and smooth with light carbonation.

This is a complex and intriguing brew. It's actually fun to drink. I'd like to know the brewers' specific intention when they created it. I've never tasted anything like it and this is the kind of thing that keeps me excited about craft beer. Delicious and a mouthful of adventure.

I'm giving Allies Win the War! a BeerguyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4. Sorry, no Droolie. The Wonder Beagle was already in bed when I popped the cap on this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment