Sunday, February 17, 2013

Monk's Stout Dupont

Belgians know beer.

It's Stout Day! Who thinks up this stuff? Lately, it seems there's a special day for everything. Hey, that would be a cool challenge: participate in whatever the particular celebration of the day may be. Eat a donut on National Donut Day. Drink some tequila on International Tequila Day. Wow, there's even a Star Wars Day on May 4. Chewbacca says, "UUUUUUUUUUR AHHHHRRRRRR UHRRRR AHHHHRRRRR AAAARHG!" (AWESOME!)

I stopped in at 1856, my neighborhood bottleshop, to get a stout to properly celebrate this momentous occasion. I decided to spend a little more than usual and went with a Belgian brew. What the hell, tomorrow is payday.

This beer poured into the glass a deep, dark brown color. The tan head was most impressive. A full two fingers thick, it was creamy and clumpy. You could eat the stuff with a spoon. The head lasted forever. It actually didn't dissipate much during the entire time I drank the 750 ml bottle.

Aroma is brown sugar, molasses and dark fruit. Subtle, floral hints of Belgian yeast.

Taste is chocolate and toffee. Dark roasted malts with just a tinge of smokiness. Lots of flavors rolling around in there. Dark fruit tastes of raisin and fig. Bready yeast and just a little bit of bitterness on the end note.

The finish is dry and the mouthfeel is a bit thinner than I expected. Nice carbonation. I found it an easy drink. Can't say I'd spend the money on one again, but I didn't find much to complain about. Merry the Wonder Beagle tried to bully me out of a taste, so it got the Beerhound howl of approval.

Monk's Stout Dupont gets a Big Dumb Galoot rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment