Sunday, February 17, 2013

MacTarnahan's (Portland Brewing Company) - Winter Humbug'r

Bah, something or other!

I picked up a bomber of this brew at the grocery store for only $1.99. Man, that price is hard to beat. I'm between paychecks and I certainly appreciated being able to buy a craft beer with the scrub change in my coat pocket. Deal! I've noticed that MacTarnahan's are usually some of the lowest priced beers in the cold case. I don't know why. Don't really care.

This "winter porter" poured into my pint glass a solid black color with a finger-thick, mocha head. The head was creamy and clumpy and dissipated slowly. Considerable lacing was left behind throughout the entire drink.

Aroma was brown sugar, molasses and faint malt. Not much else to the smell that my aged nose could discern.

Taste was bitter chocolate and mild coffee. Roasted malt way back there somewhere.

Mouthfeel is medium with a bit of a watery finish. Only the bitterness was left on the palate.

Not a bad porter. Very drinkable and certainly worth the low, low price of admission. I guess I was expecting something a bit more bold from a beverage touting itself as a "winter" beer. ABV is only 5.3%. Perhaps if there had been some winter spices or some kind of interesting nuance, I'd be more impressed. Nevertheless, I'm giving Winter Humbug'r 3 crushed cans out of 4. One of those cans was for the low price.

No comments:

Post a Comment