Sunday, February 17, 2013

Lompoc Brewing - Special Draft (LSD)

Don't be "Leary" of this one.

Once again, I have to say (boast) that Portland, Oregon is the best beer town I've ever lived in--or visited for that matter. There are so many fantastic, local breweries putting out fantastic  beers. I've been to most of them, but not all. I've never been to any of the Lompoc Brewing brewpubs  here in town, but I've enjoyed a number of their tasty wares. Good stuff and I'm going to have to try some on draft one of these days soon.

Today, I'm reviewing Lompoc Special Draft. Again, there's no specific information about the beer on the label other than the ABV (6.9%). I really didn't know what I was getting myself into until I popped the cap on the bomber. Hey, that's a good thing. No preconceptions or prejudices.

The beer poured into my glass a deep, dark mahogany color. The light tan head came up a full two inches and dissipated slowly. Copious amounts of frothy lacing was left behind.

Aroma is toasty malt, brown sugar and sweet caramel with hints of herbal spiciness in the background. Intriguing.

Taste is milk chocolate with toffee notes. Licorice and a light smokiness. A pleasant bitterness throughout. A nice, dry finish with a delicate spiciness left on the palate.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. The complexity of flavors comes together as the beer warms. I love this beer. I'm giving LSD a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment