Sunday, February 17, 2013

Lompoc Brewing - Monster Mash

A graveyard smash?

My god, it's finally Friday! This calls for a beer. I'm likely never going to make a dent in all of the seasonal craft beers I want to try but I'm not giving up!

I picked up a bomber of Lompoc Brewing's Monster Mash Imperial Porter today. The bottle claims an 8.0% ABV but there's no specific information about the beer on the label. Sometimes that's a good thing. When the label has too many descriptors, it can cloud the tasting experience. Label says "coriander" or "sour apple", I'm probably going to imagine that I'm tasting coriander or sour apple, whether those flavors are present or not. A copy-free label keeps it real.

Monster Mash poured into my pint glass a very dark brown color with a thin tan head. The head dissipated very quickly and left no lacing behind. A tiny ring of foam could be seen around the rim, but nothing more.

Aroma is roasted malt and sweet dark fruit. Raisin, date, plum.

Taste is big on bitter, dark chocolate and toffee. Brown sugar. Earthiness in the finish. 

Mouthfeel is thinner than I thought it would be. No noticeable alcohol taste at all. Very smooth.

For a bigger ABV Imperial Porter, this is a very drinkable beer. I could have used another one. Good stuff. I'm giving Monster Mash a respectable 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment