Sunday, February 17, 2013

Lompoc Brewing - C-Note Imperial Pale Ale

That's a lot of F'ing C's.

I bought a bomber of this brew somewhere. It's been in the back of my fridge for a week or so. Sometimes bottles get lost way back there behind the milk and that ridiculously gigantic jar of kimchi I bought at Costco. I found a bottle of my first homebrew back there once. It was so old, it could be considered a museum piece. With a bit of trepidation, I drank it. It wasn't horrible, but I digress. Back to the beer at hand.

C-Note poured into my glass a dark copper color. The head was slightly off-white and a full finger thick. The foam dissipated quickly but left copious amounts of lacing from rim to rim.

The aroma is of citrus and pine but not the overpowering hops I expected. There was a sweet floral scent that reminded me of the lavender soap my wife has stocked in our bathroom. Nice.

The taste is also not what I expected. C-Note is brewed with seven different "C" hops: Crystal, Cluster, Cascade, Chinook, Centennial, Columbus and Challenger. I actually don't know what I was expecting. Overpowering hoppiness, I suppose, but that wasn't the case. The citrus and pine notes are present and accounted for, but there is also caramel malt and a subtle lavender flavor. There's an earthy, grassy undertone that doesn't take over the taste at all. A pleasant bitter tang teases the back of the jaw, with a distinctly dry finish. Medium mouthfeel. I like it. I like it a lot.

This beer is surprisingly drinkable. ABV is 6.9%. I get a little bit of the alcohol at the end, but it doesn't overpower the complexity of flavors floating around on the tongue. I'd like to try this one on tap and I'll be scheduling a trip over to the Lompoc brewpub near me soon

I'm giving this one a solid score of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment