Sunday, February 17, 2013

Lagunitas Brewing Company - Maximus IPA

Maximus-ly delicious

I needed an appropriate beer to drink while watching the SOTU address. Now, I certainly don't have access to the President's private homebrew, so I had to settle for whatever I had in the fridge.

I reached inside the trusty Kenmore and pulled out a bomber of Lagunitas Maximus India Pale Ale. This brew is clearly an Imperial IPA, but it doesn't say so on the label. However, ABV is 8.2% and it is a heavy hitter.

The beer poured into my glass a clear, deep orange color with a clumpy, creamy, off-white head that came up more than a finger  thick. The head dissipated slowly and left copious amounts of frothy lacing behind throughout the entire drink.

Aroma is pine and citrus hops with a big maltiness right in the mix, too. Floral and tropical fruit hints in the background.

Taste is a massive hop bomb right from the get go. Big bitter sock to the jaw with the pine and citrus flavors you'd expect. Orange and grapefruit. Sweet caramel malt is balanced to perfection with the hops. So good. There's just the slightest tinge of funkiness and alcohol sting. Really good.

Medium mouthful. Decent carbonation and a creamy finish.

I love Lagunitas beers and so does Merry the Wonder Beagle. She was drooling up a storm and refused to leave my side the entire time I was drinking this wonderful stuff. Maximus gets a BeerguyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.


No comments:

Post a Comment