Monday, February 18, 2013

Hopworks Urban Brewery - Deluxe Organic Ale (DOA)

Wanted...DOA
Took my lady to the movies. We went to Living Room Theaters and saw an indie film. I like Living Room Theaters because, well, you can drink a beer or two while you watch the movie. Sometimes, I really need that beer, especially if the movie totally sucks.

In addition to serving deviled eggs with caviar, Living Room Theaters have some pretty nice local craft beers on tap. I went with the Hopworks Urban Brewery (HUB) Deluxe Organic Ale (DOA).

The beer was delivered to the table a reddish-orange amber color. The white head was minimal because the beer was over-poured.

<RANT> Portland beer servers: Please stop over-pouring beers from the tap! I'm watching you and it drives me crazy! I'll gladly show you how it's done. You start with a tilted glass. Hold the tap right up against the glass. Pour slowly and gradually decrease the angle as it fills. RIGHT AT THE END, hold the glass upright and let the head rise up to the rim. If there's not much foam, give that tap just a little goose. It's not that hard. Nothing bugs me more than getting a wet glass delivered to my coaster that has more foam running down the side than it has on top! ARRRRGH!</RANT>

Where was I? Oh, yeah, the DOA. Aroma is citrus and sweet tropical fruit. The smell of caramel malt is hanging around there in the back.

Taste is caramel malt and citrus hops. Orange and tropical fruit. Melon and pineapple. There's a pleasant earthiness that lingers on the palate after the sweetness and mildly bitter hops finish battling it out on the tongue. Tasty.

Medium mouthfeel with some lively carbonation. Creamy finish. The respectable 6.9% ABV surprises me. There's no appreciable alcohol taste at all.

This beer is a keeper and just the ticket when you're suffering from hop bomb burnout. I'm giving this one a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment