Sunday, February 17, 2013

Hopworks Urban Brewery - Abominable Winter Ale

RRRRAAAWWRRRG!

Winter warmer season is coming fast. Hopworks Urban Brewery's Abominable Winter Ale is one of my favorites and I was quite excited when I found the new 1 pint cans of the wonderful stuff in the cold case at Mainbrew, an awesome homebrew supply store and bottleshop in Hillsboro, Oregon.

The Abominable artwork has has always been pretty cool and the new can has a great design. Check out the photo. Ooooo, scary! But, the beer isn't scary. It's delicious.

The beer poured into my glass a deep, brownish, copper color. The off-white head was thick and ample. The foam lasted a long time and left a huge amount of sloppy suds all across the top from rim to rim.

Big, big aroma of citrus hops and pine. Sugary, caramel malt undertones. My sniffer isn't what it used to be, but I have no problem getting the smell of this beer way up into my olfactory center.

The taste is a big hitter, too. Bam! Grapefruit hoppiness and caramel malt with a perfect balance between sweetness and a nice bitter zing. There's some booziness but not overpowering. Abominable is surprisingly drinkable for such a flavorful beer. Can you tell that I really love this stuff?

I'm giving Abominable Winter Ale a score of 4 crushed beer cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment