Sunday, February 17, 2013

Harvester Brewing - Squash Experiment Ale

And it's gluten-free...

I decided to try a gluten-free beer tonight. Frankly, I don't even know what a flipping "gluten" is. What IS a gluten? And why do so many people hate them? Don't know. Don't care. Can't we all just get along?

The label reports that this beer is made with squash, chestnuts, oats, sorghum and a few other interesting ingredients. No indication what kind of ABV it's packin', though. 

The beer poured into my pint glass a slightly cloudy, dark orange/copper color. The white head was a full two fingers thick and lasted quite a while. Significant amounts of lacing left behind from rim to rim.

Interesting aroma. Sweet malt and nutty cocoa. Very earthy.

The taste follows the nose, except for a very noticeable but subtle squash flavor. The earthiness in the smell is prominent in the taste as well. Nice bitterness in the finish with an herbal spiciness left on the palate.

Delicious stuff and I guess I'm not really missing those glutens. Sorry, glutens. Mouthfeel is thin to medium. Just a tad watery. Decent carbonation. I like it. I'm giving this little experiment a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment