Sunday, February 17, 2013

Great Divide Brewing Company - Hibernation Ale

Now I lay me down to sleep.

Bought another batch of singles the other day. $1.49 a bottle. Deal. I was in charge of cooking dinner tonight and a 1/4 cup of this brew went into my pork chops. I'll post the recipe later. Let me just say they were delicious with a pepper jelly glaze.

This beer is an English Style Old Ale with an ABV of 8.7% It poured into my glass a dark reddish brown with a finger thick, tan head. The head had good retention and left a decent amount of lacing behind.

Aroma was caramel malt right up front with hints of dark fruit, vanilla and brown sugary goodness. Very bready in the background.

Taste is nice! Malt and bitter hops. Interesting because there wasn't much hops in the nose. The bitterness is very welcome and cleanly offsets the brown sugar and sweet fruitiness. Chocolate and coffee flavors are left rolling pleasantly around on the palate. Dang it! I really wish I had more than the 12 oz bottle I bought--and I regret using some of it for cooking instead of drinking. Surprisingly complex.

Mouthfeel is medium with lively carbonation. The alcohol is noticeable but not overpowering.

I'm not familiar with this Colorado brewery at all, so this tasty beer comes as a wonderful surprise. It definitely pays off to go digging around in the orphan bin at the market every once in a while. Good stuff and I'm giving Hibernation Ale a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment