Sunday, February 17, 2013

Great Divide Brewing Company - Yeti Imperial Stout

Rwwaaaagggh!

Bigfoot is in the news around these parts lately. Apparently, some loud, nocturnal caterwauling has folks living near an Oregon Indian reservation convinced that the legendary hairy beast is in their midst. I don't know about that. I'm thinking that if Bigfoots (Bigfeet? Bigfooti?) and their kin the Yetis actually exist, we'd have discovered them already. Hell, kids are playing xBox in the Amazon rain forest. The world has gotten mighty small.

I bought several Great Divide Brewing Co. beers because of a recent tasting and review I posted of their Hibernation Ale. I loved that one, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. Great Divide Yeti is an Imperial Stout with an ABV of 9.5%. Here's how it went:

The beer poured into my pint glass as black as used motor oil. The mocha head came up at about a finger thick and quickly dissipated. Spotty lacing was left behind.

Aroma is roasted malt, chocolate and coffee. Not much hops to the nose on this one. The smell is rather muted and subdued.

Taste is big on bitter cocoa and espresso. Surprisingly hoppy and that bitterness lasts throughout the entire drink, start to finish. This beer packs a punch--from flavor, not alcohol. A lot more taste than I expected. 

Full mouthfeel. This beer coats the tongue with flavor, but that's not a bad thing. It's like a flavor explosion.

Excellent, and Yeti gets the full Monty because Merry the Wonder Beagle was drooling like a little monster--ahem...yeti--over this beer. 4 crushed cans out of 4 and a Droolie for Great Divide Yeti.


No comments:

Post a Comment