Sunday, February 17, 2013

Great Divide Brewing Company - Titan IPA

Clash of the tastebuds.

I'm really glad I discovered Great Divide Brewing Co's beers. They're brewing up some good stuff in  Colorado--almost makes up for Coors. Almost.

This will be third Great Divide beer I've tried and reviewed, and I'm really looking forward to the next one. Tonight's pick was their Titan IPA. 7.1%  ABV. The label suggests pairing it with "grilled halibut, Thai curry, strong/soft cow's milk cheeses". Sounds good, but I had rice and beans for dinner. The suggestion did get me craving Thai. Maybe tomorrow night.

The beer poured into my pint glass a clear golden amber color. The white head was a full finger thick and had good retention. A good amount of lacing was left behind.

Aroma is pine and citrus hops, along with sweet malt. There was a pleasant sweet honey and floral scent in the background.

Taste follows the nose. Interesting blending of sweet and bitter in this IPA. Grapefruit and pine competes in a tastebud tug of war with the caramel malt and floral sweetness. Really good stuff.

Medium mouthfeel with nice carbonation. The finish is just a bit on the watery side, but other than that, this is an excellent, easy drinking IPA.

Merry the Wonder Beagle stared at me like a vulture the entire time I was drinking this beer. The strings of drool coming out of both sides of her muzzle were just about the longest I've ever seen. Poor pooch. I'm pretty sure she was trying to psychically will me into dropping the glass. No such luck for the beer hound.

I'm giving Titan IPA BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4 and a Droolie for good measure.


No comments:

Post a Comment