Sunday, February 17, 2013

Gigantic Brewing Company - The City Never Sleeps

Hoppy the Gnome likes
The City Never Sleeps
Gigantic Brewing Company is one of the newest kids on the block in the Portland brewing community. I've been to their tasting room a number of times since they opened. The owners must be cool. I dig the artwork on the walls (and on their labels) and they have a photo of the King of Cool, Steve McQueen, overlooking the place from behind the bar. That's pretty damn cool. (My former brother-in-law used to work for McQueen--cleaning his motorcycles and other odd jobs, but that's another story for another time.)

The City Never Sleeps is an Imperial Black Saison. I actually sampled a pint of this tasty beer in the tasting room and I really liked it. I picked up the bomber at Freddie's the other day and I've been anxiously waiting for my long work day to end so I could formally taste and review it the Big Dumb Galoot way.

The beer poured into my goblet a dense black color. Holding it up to the light, nothing is getting through that blackness. The brown head was a full finger thick and left considerable lacing behind.

The primary aroma is chocolate. There are also hints of malt and dark fruit. Ripe cherries and plum. The taste is chocolate with raisin. There's a serious bitterness with smokey notes. Medium mouthfeel. That's some  damn good beer. The ABV is at 7.6%, according to the label. You can taste the booze, but it's not too overpowering.

This is one of those beers that just keeps on giving. Nice complexity. I'm getting more of a fruity flavor as the beer warms up. I'm really looking forward to every new beer these guys put out. Good stuff, and as you can see from the photo above, Hoppy the Gnome couldn't resist it either. I'm trying to be more stingy with my ratings, but it's hard to find anything warranting a demerit here. Hell, there's a Vonnegut quote on the label. I'm giving The City Never Sleeps a perfect 4 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment