Sunday, February 17, 2013

Gigantic Brewing Company - Black Friday Beer

You can drink it on Saturday, too...

Gigantic Brewing hasn't disappointed me yet. They just seem to keep rolling out the big guns every time they release a new beer.

Black Friday is an Imperial Cascadian Dark Ale. Now, I'm not a native Northwesterner. I grew up in SoCal, but I think my tastebuds are reincarnated from the mouth of an Oregonian. Bascially, I love a big, citrusy-piney hopped beer. I love that bitter sting to the back of the palate that only a big hop beer can provide. The Cascadian Dark Ale style is a kick in the pants. It sits there looking all mellow and porter-like, and then--POW! Sock to the nose! WAM! Kick to the jaw!

Black Friday poured into my glass a deep, solid black color. I held it up to the light and the brew is like a black hole--no light getting through. The tan head was quite ample. It dissipated slowly and left a decent amount of lacing and side-suds behind.

The aroma is up front with big citrus and pine. Hops galore. There's a bit of sweet maltiness and brown sugar in the background.

Taste is pine and citrus hops. Big bitter punch. Finish is just a little bit of smokey chocolate and coffee. Medium mouthfeel with some nice carbonation. ABV is up there at 8.1%, but this is a very drinkable beer. I didn't feel too much of an alcohol sting while sipping on it.


I have to mention that Merry the Wonder Beagle gave me sad puppy eyes the entire time I was drinking this beer. When I got up from the couch, I slipped in a GIGANTIC puddle of her drool. As I've said before, that's a HUGE compliment from the Beerhound.

No comments:

Post a Comment