Sunday, February 17, 2013

Full Sail Brewing Company - Big Daddy J's Malt Liquor

Should come in a 40,
I'm just sayin'...

Believe it or not, I've hammered down a few 40's of nasty, funky, skunky malt liquor in my day. In fact, I do believe the very first "beer" I ever drank was a Mickey's Malt Liquor. It was at a drive-in movie theater in Oxnard, CA and we smuggled the stuff in under a blanket in the backseat of a '72 Mach I Mustang.

Imagine my delight when I spied a bomber of a "high gravity" malt liquor, produced by Hood River's Full Sail Brewing Company, in the cold case at...Whole Foods. What would possess them to create such a thing? Who woulda thunk it? Malt liquor for yuppies?

The beer poured into my pint glass a hazy golden orange. The head was a good inch or more thick and left quite a bit of suds behind from rim to rim.

Smell? Malt and alcohol. Smells like a malt liquor without the skunk. Am I hearing Van Halen playing there in the background?

Taste? Crazy. It very much reminds me of Steel Reserve 211, only with some quality and refinement. Sweet malt and corn. Then there's that fortified alcohol taste, but without too much of a sting. There's no harsh aftertaste like you'd experience in just about every mass-produced, nasty-ass malt liquor. For a second there, I tried to run my fingers through my 1976 mullet.

I can't imagine there ever being much of a market for this beer. I mean, I'm glad I tried it. It was a fun adventure and I have to recommend Big Daddy J's to anybody waxing nostalgic for getting their first 40 ounce drank on. However, I seriously can't imagine ever buying this brew ever again. Once was enough.

For cojones alone, I'm giving this beer (and it's brewer) a respectable 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment