Sunday, February 17, 2013

Fort George Brewery - Sunrise OPA

The "O" is for oatmeal.

Fort George Sunrise OPA is a beer brewed with...oatmeal. Now, oatmeal doesn't exactly conjure up good feelings for me. Whenever I hear the word "oatmeal", I immediately have memories of the thick, gooey glop my grandma forced me to choke down for breakfast when I was a little kid. Ack. Gross. Wallpaper paste.

Fort George is one of my favorite Oregon breweries. They make some mighty fine beer. Thus, I felt I could trust them not to deliver a beverage that would in anyway come close to causing the kind of gastronomic flashbacks grandma's oatmeal still gives me. Shudder.

The beer poured from can into my Mason jar a bright, hazy yellow/orange. The bright white head was thick and copious. It sure is a good looking beer, I'll give 'em that.

The aroma is citrus and pine. It sure smells like an IPA. The taste is full of delicious, bitter hoppiness. It sure tastes like an IPA. The flavor of grapefruit stands out in the forefront. There's an earthy flavor rolling around in the background. The bitterness hangs around for a while and provides an interesting juxtaposition to the beer's overall sweetness. 

On a side note, my wife was cooking dinner when I did my tasting of Sunrise OPA. Roasted potatoes with chicken and apple sausage. She asked for some of my beer to cook the sausage in. I reluctantly gave her a couple of ounces. It was for a good cause. I have to say, the sausage was delicious. IPA's aren't typically the best cookin' beers, in my opinion, but the sweetness of this brew went great with the sweet apple sausage.

This is an easy beer to drink and disappeared from my glass very quickly. On my rating scale, Sunrise OPA gets 3 crushed cans out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment