Sunday, February 17, 2013

Fort George Brewery - Quick Wit


This is one of the premium craft beers that you can now find in cans in your market's cold case, if you're lucky enough to live in Oregon. The cans are 16 ounces and come in a four pack. I like cans. They are easy to carry, store and dispose of. I really like them when they are filled with delicious beer.

My wife prefers Belgian wits over any other beer. Truthfully, I probably wouldn't have sampled Quick Wit if she hadn't ordered it at the Fort George Brew Pub and got me to take a sip. I'm certainly glad she was along because I love this beer. Fort George Brewery is in Astoria, OR, which is a big plus because--HELLO!--The Goonies was filmed in Astoria. "Hey, you GUUUUYS!"

The can proclaims Quick Wit a "Belgianesque" ale, which is an appropriate moniker. I've tasted Belgian wits with a similar flavor and character. I'm not usually a wheat beer fan, but this one has me rethinking my position on that.

The beer poured into my goblet with a fizzy white head that quickly dissipated. No lacing was left behind. Cloudy, orange gold color. Aroma is malty, yeasty and slightly floral. Flavor is lightly spicy. Citrus and lemongrass hints. Malt and floral yeast flavors remains pleasantly on the palate.

I really do love this beer. Did I say that already? It's like a session wit. I could knock back a few cans on a hot afternoon, no problem. It gets the top rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment