Sunday, February 17, 2013

Flat Tail Brewing - NO Ghost Chili Porter

The NO is for NO heat.

Man, isn't it a bummer when you really, really, really want to like a beer, but it's just not gonna happen? Nope, just not feelin' the love.

I love hot chiles almost as much as I love a fine craft beer. (It is spelled C-H-I-L-E, by the way. C-H-I-L-I is a spicy brown stew made popular in the Southwestern USA. The Ghost Chile (aka, the Bhut Jolokia) is one of the hottest chiles on earth. It's a real tonsil blazer and I'm proud to say I ate a whole Ghost Chile once--with painful, disastrous results, of course, but I ate it. Thus, when I saw a Ghost Chile beer in the cold case at the market today, I had to try it.

The beer poured into my Shaker pint a deep, dark brown/black color. There was really no head to speak of. The tiny bit of foam I coaxed out of the pour disappeared immediately and left no lacing behind.

Aroma was cocoa and brown sugar. Light roasted malt in the background. No noticeable chile smell.

Taste was sweet chocolate and mild coffee. Sweet roasted malt. Kind of too sweet for my liking. There is just a bit of pepper bite. Seriously, though, the chile favor is not very pronounced. From my experience with the Ghost Chile, it's all heat and very little flavor. Other well-known peppers give a distinct flavor to food--or beer. The Jalapeno has an easily recognizable pungency, especially in it's smoked Chipotle form. The Habanero has some big heat, but a pleasant citrus flavor. The Ghost Chile? The one I ate was just painfully hot. 

Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation. Seemed a little flat to me.

Dang it, I really wanted to like this beer! But I just can't. I'm giving this one a BeerguyPDX rating of 1 crushed can out of 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment