Sunday, February 17, 2013

Falling Sky Brewing - Kama Sumatra Coffee Porter

My kind of morning brew.

Number one son is a student at University of Oregon. It's his birthday on Wednesday, so we took a little trip down to Eugene to celebrate this weekend. I put my daughter (who also lives in Eugene) in charge of finding a place for us all to have a celebratory Sunday Brunch. Bless her heart, the girl is always looking out for her old pops--she chose a brewpub. That's my girl.

Falling Sky is a terrific brewpub in downtown Eugene. They have quite an extensive beer menu and a pretty darn good brunch menu, too. It was 11:AM when we arrived and none of the other customers in line ahead of me were ordering beer-just food. Wha'? I was starting to think there's some kind of statute in Eugene against early morning beer drinking or something. No way in hell was I NOT having a beer. Some people, jeesh. Not drinking beer in a BREWPUB. Weirdos.

I ordered a Kama Sumatra Coffee Porter. It was poured perfectly into a pint glass. Color was a deep, dark brown with an inch plus of light tan, creamy head.

Aroma was straight up coffee and roasted malt. Hints of cocoa and toffee.

Taste is bitter chocolate and espresso beans. Rich maltiness in the background. A nice creamy finish follows the bitterness and a very pleasant coffee taste is left on the palate--just like a premium cup of java. Delicious and absolutely the perfect brunch beverage. I like it...a lot.

Medium mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation. Not too fizzy. 5% ABV.

Great atmosphere, food and beer at Falling Sky Brewing. I'll definitely be back every time I visit Eugene. As for Kama Sumatra Coffee Porter, I'm giving it a very respectable 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment