Sunday, February 17, 2013

Evil Twin Brewing - Hipster Ale

This stuff will bust the seams
on your skinny jeans.

When I saw this beer in the cold case, I had to buy a can. Hipsters bug the hell out of me. Skinny little men in their skinny little jeans. Jaunty little caps. Fuzz-busty beards. Thick-rimmed glasses whether they need them or not. Their idea of a dangerous night out is a snarky game of Pictionary that escalates into a half-assed slap fight. Ugh.

I'm pretty sure the official hipster beer is PBR. At least, that's the only beer I ever see the hipsters in my neighborhood drinking. It's like that tallboy is genetically attached. (How does one go about riding a rusting 1970 Schwinn Varsity while sipping on a Pabst? That always impresses me.) In case you don't think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to hipster zoology, I live in the Alberta Arts District of Portland, Oregon--hipster ground zero. It's like living in hell for a Big Dumb Galoot like me.

I poured the beer into the official hipster drinking vessel--anything handy. It poured a hazy golden orange color with a massive, foamy, slightly off-white head. The head maintained a significant presence until I finished the beer.

Aroma is not what I expected. Citrus hops, sweet malt, tropical fruit. Much like an IPA. Taste is bitter throughout. Orange with some light, earthy notes. Hell, I like this beer. Not nearly as obnoxious as those douchy hipsters that hang out on the corner. Despite the name, Hipster Ale didn't make me want to slap it across the face, not even once.

I'm surprised that I'm giving this beer a score of 3 crushed cans out of 4. Good stuff. I can't see real hipsters drinking it, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment