Sunday, February 17, 2013

Evil Twin Brewing - Disco Beer

Well, you can tell by the way I use my
walk, I'm a woman's man.
 no time to talk...

I saw it there in the cold case: Evil Twin Disco Beer. WTF? My first thought was that the moniker would better suit a bad 1980's comedy cop flick. EVIL TWIN DISCO BEER, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Pauly Shore. Why would anybody name a beer "Disco Beer"? Everybody knows disco sucks, right? Right?

The label gives no clue as to the origin of the name. However, it does advise that it's a "vinous IPA" with a 10.5% ABV, and that the stuff is brewed in Denmark. Let's boogie!

Disco beer poured into my goblet a hazy, brownish amber color. The tan head came up at more than two fingers and almost got away from me. It was oddly clumpy and lumpy and dissipated very slowly. Prodigious amounts of suds stayed behind and really never went away. When I refreshed my glass, the head came roaring back to life.

Smell is citrus, pine and sweet fruit, with an earthy funk way in the background.

Taste is grapefruit and sugary malt. Very little hop bitterness and more sour fruit flavor than I would expect from something claiming to be an IPA. Disco Beer was aged in Chardonnay barrels and I can definitely pick up the wine flavor rolling around with a subtle oakiness. Bit of a syrupy finish.

Medium mouthfeel with a lot of carbonation.

Definitely drinkable. It seemed more like a wimpy barleywine than an imperial IPA to me, though. I'm giving Disco Beer a Big Dumb Galoot rating of 2 crushed cans out of 4.




No comments:

Post a Comment