Sunday, February 17, 2013

EPIC Ales - Forest Ale

Can't see the forest through the beer.

We took a little trip up Seattle way this weekend. I had tickets for UFC on Fox 5 - Henderson v. Diaz. What a great night of fights. Truly the best UFC event I've ever attended. Today, we did a little tourist action around the Emerald City.

We wandered into a little deli/bottleshop in the Pike. I couldn't leave the lovely (and thoroughly progressive) state of Washington without buying some local beer to take home.

I found a bomber of EPIC Ales Forest Ale in the cold case. Now, I've already discussed how I feel about expensive, special edition beers that are sealed with wax: the beer had damn better be worth the trouble of getting the cap off. EPIC Ales Forest Ale came with a generous amount of pea green wax (with jute pull-string) surrounding the neck and top of the bottle. Grrrr. Get the knife...

This American Strong Ale poured into my pint glass a murky, unfiltered, deep, dark brown color. The tan head came up a full finger thick and dissipated slowly to  a reasonable amount of lacing from rim to rim.

Aroma is sweet malt and bready yeast. There's a smell of brown sugar with an earthiness in the background.

The taste follows the nose with bready yeast and malt. A nice hop bitterness follows and that earthy, mossy flavor is left pleasantly on the palate. Trying to put my finger on that earthy note. I know my description doesn't sound particularly appetizing and I wish I could do it better--does anybody make a beer tasting Thesaurus? I need one.

Medium mouthfeel with decent carbonation. No sign of alcohol sting for me with this 8% ABV beer. It's an easy drinker for me.

Does it deserve the wax seal? Uh, yeah, mainly because there's enough going on with this beer to grab my interest and keep me coming back for more. I like it. Forest Ale is getting a very respectable Big Dumb Galoot rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment