Sunday, February 17, 2013

Elysian Brewing Company - Omen Belgian Raspberry Stout

It's an omen! Omen? Oh, men!  

I had to get off the bus again today. Had to. It was packed to the roof and every time it stopped, more people packed into that rolling sardine can. Yahhhhh!

Gratefully, there was a neighborhood taproom right down the street. Okay, I know what you're thinking. You think I just used the overcrowded bus as an excuse to get some beer down my gullet--okay, you may be right.

The Elysian Belgian Omen Raspberry Stout sounded good--mainly because it was one of the higher ABV beers on the taplist at 7.2%. Hey, it was a long day at the office and I seriously needed a beer. An omen can mean good or bad things are coming your way. I was hoping for good.

Omen was presented in a 10 ounce snifter. It was a very dark, purple-ish/brown color with a small, creamy, tan head. The head dissipated quickly but left a good amount of lacing behind.

Aroma was coffee, chocolate malt and over-ripe fruit.

Taste follows the nose with coffee, chocolate and sour fruit. There's a nice, subtle smokiness in the background. I like it--a lot.

This one is a keeper. I'm not a huge fan of fruit beers, but the raspberry flavor in this one isn't in-your-face prominent. It's certainly in there, but doesn't overpower the traditional stout character of the beer. Good stuff. I would definitely pick up a bomber if I spotted one in a cold case.

I'm giving Elysian Omen Belgian Raspberry Stout (say that three times really fast) a Big Dumb Galoot rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4. Perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment